Skip to main content

Different is Beautiful!

Hi Friends!

I'm posting today with another completed journal page. I've been quite productive lately as the weather has changed and we've been spending more time inside.



This journal page started out by collaging a few papers from my stash, old book pages that were previously stamped with script, and tissue paper in which was stamped with Illustrated botanicals stamps by Tim holtz. I also stamped the Tim Holtz butterflies from the Flutter set directly to the page, I should of stamped them to the tissue first then attached to the page. The thing about finely detailed stamps is they really need a flat even surface and they didn't turn out as crisp as I would of liked. Once I was happy with the configuration I sealed the entire page with Mod Poge.

I chose a Shnibblybits stencil in Harlequin pattern to add with Dina Wakley's black gesso randomly to the page using a makeup sponge. I also used a ledger stamp from Tim Holtz Documented stamp set with black archival ink, I used it unmounted and curved it while stamping randomly to the page.

I just set the ink quickly with my heat tool and cut out a Shnibblybits stencil in Zig-zag pattern into a light grey sheet of 12 x 12 card stock. Instead of using the "stencil" I want the "negative" pieces. I just arranged them on the background and attached them with Aleene's glue. I let that dry overnight.

In the morning I mixed Liquitex gesso in 50% clear and 50% white right on the page, that knocked everything into the background while adding some tooth over the Mod podge for the next process.



Again, I'm pulling out the Lindy's Magicals in purples and blues, I had intentionally used the grey card stock because I really like that combination! I wanted to focus Prima Donna Purple to the areas with the zig-zags, so once I had that colour mixed with water in a pallet I lightly spritzed those areas and started to add colour with a small brush, using my water bottle to help it blend and travel with the cutout. I would add a bit of colour here and there and quickly set it with a heat tool to help concentrate the colour. Now comes the Sassy Sapphire, I mixed some in a pallet with water to a very light shade and another quite dark. I took a large brush and quickly went over the majority of the page with the light shade avoiding the purple. I then took my small brush and the dark blue to add colour around the Zig-Zags. I added a bunch of splatters in both colours and while still wet I took a spray bottle with Lindy's Pop Rock Purple and sprayed that over some areas of the light blue background.

Now, I wanted to add some embossing, I have so many different embossing powders which I rarely use. Taking a Shnibblybits stencil in Polkadot pattern I used my blending tool with VersaMark Watermark ink and applied it through the stencil, I removed the stencil and poured Stampendous embossing powder in White Pearls over the Watermark ink and removed the excess by tilting the page and tapping it off. I then set it with my heat tool. I simply outlined all the embossed circles with a white gel pen.

Then the page took a completely different direction! I wanted to use a Prima Everyday Vintage journal card and a few stickers from the set, along with some purple washi tape and a few die cut pieces from Prima Salvage District ephemera pack. I had to make the background grungy to match the ephemera so I took my blending tool and Tim Holtz Distress ink in Victorian Velvet and Vintage Photo to the edges of the page and some on the background. I then splattered water drops on the background and blotted them up with paper towel. I glued down the journal card with a piece of cardboard and the rest were glued down with Mod Podge. My last step was to lightly add some black ink to the edges with my blending tool.

I hope you like what I've created!

Here are some close ups!






Lisa :)






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A few Spring pages

Hi Friends! I'm posting today to share the latest journal pages I've created. I hope you like what I've created! Thanks for stopping by! Lisa 

Happy Memories

Hi Friends! I'm posting another quick art journal page today. I started this page with scraps of Tim Holtz tissue wrap and masking tape which I adhered with Mod Podge. I arranged and adhered scraps of canvas gesso side down and then gessoed the entire page. Using a blending tool and Distress Oxides in Broken China and Antique Linen I added colour to the background. I then used Lindy's sprays and Inktense pencils to colour and outline the canvas pieces with several blue and brown shades. I randomly added script stamping with Cracked Pistachio Distress Oxide, pine needle stamping with Walnut Stain Distress Oxide, and stencilled Harlequin pattern with Shnibblybits stencil with Broken China Distress Oxide. After inking the edges of a few Shnibblybits vines with black ink, I adhered them down with all purpose glue. I then added some floral and butterfly die cuts from Tim Holtz to make a few clusters. Finally I added the bird, he's an Arboreal chickadee who frequent

A few more Spring pages

Hi Friends! I'm here to share the last of the art journal pages I had created before Spring was over. Here is a work in progress page using Tim Holts tissue wrap, gesso, and Lindy's sprays. I used a Shnibblybits stencil for the circles. And here is the completed page. I used a pencil to trace the circles which was nice for a little shading and I simply used gesso on the rest of the page. I used a bold white Faber Castell pitt pen to add highlights. This is my last page of Spring. This page was created with old book page scraps, masking tape, and various washi tape. Then a light coat of white gesso. I had seen another artist use a brayer to add Lindy's so I had to do the same.  This is the final product. All I did was add some black ink circles, a few sentences and a butterfly. I really hope you like what I've created, you can follow me on Instagram @lisabakkermixedmedia to see my current pages. I will get them here but may take a bit lo