Skip to main content

A peek into my journals 2

Hi Friends!

I'm posting today with another look into my journals, here are 3 more pages! All of these were done in one of my 9x12 mixed media workbooks, about a year ago. I'll do my best to advise the products and techniques used for each page.




I started this pages with torn up and randomly placed book pages, then covered with white Liquitex gesso. I then cut out a Shnibblybits stencil in Splinters and applied modeling paste in a vertical direction, let dry and then applied another layer of modeling paste in a horizontal direction and let it dry.

I used several different Lindy's Magicals and sprays for the colours. I used water to blend and spread the colour over the page drying with a heat tool to set the colours. I unintentionally blistered the modeling paste during this step and was actually quite happy with the effect.

While that dried and cooled down I cut out Shnibblybits Bordered Hearts Cutout into a piece of patterned paper, I believe it was a page with music notes. I used some of the negatives and some of the cutout to get the pieces I wanted. I used the same colours to create the background on the hearts, actually I remember letting my son who was 3 at the time brush the colours on the hearts. Once that was dried I used my blending tool and black archival ink on all the edges. 

I used Shnibblybits Hearts stencil to add some embossing. I used some Prima Rub ons and simply placed the stencil on my page, lay the embossing sheet on top and rubbed it through. What was left behind was just inside the hearts. I used Tim Holtz Distress embossing powders over the rub ons and set with my heat tool. Then to finish them off I used black and white Faber Castell Gelatos to outline the hearts, blending with my finger.

I wanted to add some sewing, so I arranged the hearts in clusters and just hand stitched with similar thread colours. I used foam squares to adhere to the page. I added a few of Tim Holtz Small talk stickers which I adhered with Aleene's and once dried I outlined with a correction pen.

Finally I outlined the entire page with a black Gelato and it was finished.





This page started out by adhering a piece of kraft coloured tissue paper to the mixed media paper using Tim Holtz Collage medium in Vintage, this gave the paper more of a rich colour and a bit of sheen. I had some music notes with bars cut out from a prototype and used it as a stencil with Distress  paint in Cracked pistachio with a make up sponge. I then used a ledger stamp from Tim Holtz Documented stamp set, a script stamp, and a piece of drywall joint tape with black archival ink to add some background texture. I just stamped randomly all over the page and used a blending tool to ink through the drywall tape. Once that was done I cleaned off the excess ink to the page in the circle pattern with the blending tool, I also inked the edges of the page.

I cut out the following Shnibblybits SVG's: 12 Patterned Tag cutouts, 18 Shipping tags, Month tags, Number tags, and Folder tags. I cut the majority of these files out of manilla coloured card stock, I cut the Month tags from Kraft coloured card stock. I did a bunch of stamping and embossing on all the tags, folders, and envelopes. I also used Distress ink with a blending tool to "age" all the pieces. I used a bunch of stickers from Prima's Everyday Vintage collecting as well as various paperclips and a few brads. 

I adhered the envelopes with Sookwang double sided tape and applied crackle paste to random area's using a Donna Downey stencil. I used Tim Holtz Collage medium in Antique again to seal the crackle paste once it was dry to avoid any future flaking and also give it a bit of a grungy colour. 

The I just arranged all of the tags and folders in the envelopes and that was it.




This page was done on a piece of vintage sheet music that I simply adhered to my mixed media paper. I took a script stamp with black archival ink and randomly added it to the background. I cut out Shnibblybits Checkers stencil first in the original size, then I shrunk it 50% and cut that out, and lastly shrunk it 50% again and cut that out. Using the two larger stencils I applied modeling paste to the page randomly.

Now the colour, I used Lindy's Magicals and sprays for the background and Neo Colour II wax pastels for the circles. Using the smallest checkers stencil I took Dina Wakley's black gesso with a makeup sponge to stencil on top of the largest modeling paste checkers. I also stencilled the excess on to a vintage dictionary page that I used later in my cluster.

Once I had the cluster decided I used my blending tool and Distress ink on all the edges and placed everything down with foam squares and Aleene's glue. Finally, I added some washi tape and black Gelatos on the outer edge of the page.



I hope you've enjoyed another peek into my journals!

Lisa :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A few Spring pages

Hi Friends! I'm posting today to share the latest journal pages I've created. I hope you like what I've created! Thanks for stopping by! Lisa 

Happy Memories

Hi Friends! I'm posting another quick art journal page today. I started this page with scraps of Tim Holtz tissue wrap and masking tape which I adhered with Mod Podge. I arranged and adhered scraps of canvas gesso side down and then gessoed the entire page. Using a blending tool and Distress Oxides in Broken China and Antique Linen I added colour to the background. I then used Lindy's sprays and Inktense pencils to colour and outline the canvas pieces with several blue and brown shades. I randomly added script stamping with Cracked Pistachio Distress Oxide, pine needle stamping with Walnut Stain Distress Oxide, and stencilled Harlequin pattern with Shnibblybits stencil with Broken China Distress Oxide. After inking the edges of a few Shnibblybits vines with black ink, I adhered them down with all purpose glue. I then added some floral and butterfly die cuts from Tim Holtz to make a few clusters. Finally I added the bird, he's an Arboreal chickadee who frequent

A few more Spring pages

Hi Friends! I'm here to share the last of the art journal pages I had created before Spring was over. Here is a work in progress page using Tim Holts tissue wrap, gesso, and Lindy's sprays. I used a Shnibblybits stencil for the circles. And here is the completed page. I used a pencil to trace the circles which was nice for a little shading and I simply used gesso on the rest of the page. I used a bold white Faber Castell pitt pen to add highlights. This is my last page of Spring. This page was created with old book page scraps, masking tape, and various washi tape. Then a light coat of white gesso. I had seen another artist use a brayer to add Lindy's so I had to do the same.  This is the final product. All I did was add some black ink circles, a few sentences and a butterfly. I really hope you like what I've created, you can follow me on Instagram @lisabakkermixedmedia to see my current pages. I will get them here but may take a bit lo