Skip to main content

My colour inspiration

Hi Friends!

Today I'm posting a journal page I just finished. My kids had provided the colour inspiration on this layout. They had collected a few items from our yard that ended up in the bin I use to transport my journal and supplies from inside to outside. I often pack this bin each time we go outside so I can at least get one layer down in between my daily tasks.

Here's what ended up in my bin:


I started this page the night before with torn up pieces of Tim Holtz Tissue wrap in Melange, I simply applied them with Mod Podge, before sealing I layed down several different washi and tissue tapes. I wanted to add some variation in colour so I laid the strips in both horizontal and vertical directions. Once everything was down I sealed the entire page with Mod Podge. I then cut out a Shnibblybits cut file in Vines with birds in a dark brown 12 x 12 card stock sheet. I glued the one vine down with Aleene's glue and let dry in the sun.


I discovered one disadvantage to working outside especially during the fall (aka, windy season for us). While applying my white Liquitex gesso it was drying a lot quicker then I had expected, during that quick step I had to help my kids with some sort of small "emergency" and when I stepped back it was already drying which made it super streaky. Looking back now I probably could of applied some water to rehydrate the gesso making for a smoother appearance?

Oh well, moving forward and hoping it won't be too obvious when the page is done! I decided to lay a Shnibblybits pattern in Flower pattern with Finnabair Art basics Opaque modeling paste. It was only applied to either side of the vine. I let that dry in the sun.

Now time for the colour. I had several tubes of Lindy's magicals in my bin and knew I wanted some blues and earth tones, which is a favourite of mine. It actually took several days of going back and fourth before I took some colour to the page. I was cleaning out my bin and found the items my kids collected for me and once they were sitting together I really liked the combination and decided to go in that direction. I always mix the Magicals in a pallet or dish with water before applying to my pages, I personally prefer my colours to be fully blended. One thing I love about Magicals is that I have the control of how light or dark the colours will be, I also love combining them to create my own colours or shades.

I started out with Merci beaucoup mint, a bit o'bubbly, and blue hawaiian blue. Once I had them blended with water to the shade I wanted, I lightly spritzed my entire page with water and started applying the colours with a small brush in groupings of 3 randomly on the page. Using more water to blend and cover larger areas. I used my heat tool to dry each section before applying more colour to avoid making mud. The blue wasn't dark enough for me so I took some leftover Twinkling H2O's in Sky blue and in the same process as the Magicals went over the blue areas, also adding a few splatters. After looking at the pallet again with the leftover Twinkling H2O'S I decided to use the Key lime as well, adding that to the page randomly and making splashes over the Sky blue.

After going back and fourth with layers of colour and drying in between I was happy with that step. I wanted to add the pattern of the wasp's nest to my layout but only had a large hexagon stamp so I thought maybe I could use the actual nest? I kept the "negative" of the Shnibblybits cut file Vines and birds to use as a mask during this process, I just lined it up to the vine on the page so when I stamped the cut out it wouldn't get onto the rest of the layout. I had to do a bit of cutting with very small scissors on the wasp nest to even out the segments, once that was done I took a makeup sponge with Dina Wakley's black gesso and pounced it onto the nest, once coated I stamped on to my page. Well that really turned out cool. It was quite difficult to get a crisp impression near the end as the segments were collapsing. I will definitely try that again in the future!

While that dried, I wanted to outline and shade the vine before I added any ephemera or wording as I hadn't decided on that yet. I just outlined the entire vine with a pencil and used a blending stump to shade focusing more on the under sides of the vine. Once that was finished I took a fine tipped permanent marker in black and just added it to the under sides of the vine.

I needed to add some stripes to represent the feather so I used a Shnibblybits file in Dashes with my Tim Holtz blending tool and Frayed burlap Distress ink. I just added it randomly, sort of avoiding the Flower pattern and the vine. Here is the frustrating part, I have (had) an amazing illustrated field guide of Alberta birds and after selecting the image that we suspected was the bird who left the feather I misplaced the book! I seriously looked everywhere in my house, vehicles, and yard, I even looked in my fridge and freezer because life is crazy with two kids!

Once I let go of the fact that I was going to find and use this image, I had to choose some ephemera and words to finish the page. As I mentioned in a previous post, I was determined to use the Tim Holtz Botanicals ephemera pack, so I selected some butterflies which I edged with a blending tool and Frayed burlap Distress ink, and applied them with foam squares to the page. I looked to my page of September journal prompts for some guidance on the words and selected a few sentences from Tim Holtz Small talk pack. I glued them down with Aleene's and shaded with a pencil and black permanent marker. I finished off the page with black archival ink using a blending tool and just adding a little bit to the 3 outer edges.


I hope you like what I've created!

Lisa :)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A few Spring pages

Hi Friends! I'm posting today to share the latest journal pages I've created. I hope you like what I've created! Thanks for stopping by! Lisa 

Happy Memories

Hi Friends! I'm posting another quick art journal page today. I started this page with scraps of Tim Holtz tissue wrap and masking tape which I adhered with Mod Podge. I arranged and adhered scraps of canvas gesso side down and then gessoed the entire page. Using a blending tool and Distress Oxides in Broken China and Antique Linen I added colour to the background. I then used Lindy's sprays and Inktense pencils to colour and outline the canvas pieces with several blue and brown shades. I randomly added script stamping with Cracked Pistachio Distress Oxide, pine needle stamping with Walnut Stain Distress Oxide, and stencilled Harlequin pattern with Shnibblybits stencil with Broken China Distress Oxide. After inking the edges of a few Shnibblybits vines with black ink, I adhered them down with all purpose glue. I then added some floral and butterfly die cuts from Tim Holtz to make a few clusters. Finally I added the bird, he's an Arboreal chickadee who frequent

A few more Spring pages

Hi Friends! I'm here to share the last of the art journal pages I had created before Spring was over. Here is a work in progress page using Tim Holts tissue wrap, gesso, and Lindy's sprays. I used a Shnibblybits stencil for the circles. And here is the completed page. I used a pencil to trace the circles which was nice for a little shading and I simply used gesso on the rest of the page. I used a bold white Faber Castell pitt pen to add highlights. This is my last page of Spring. This page was created with old book page scraps, masking tape, and various washi tape. Then a light coat of white gesso. I had seen another artist use a brayer to add Lindy's so I had to do the same.  This is the final product. All I did was add some black ink circles, a few sentences and a butterfly. I really hope you like what I've created, you can follow me on Instagram @lisabakkermixedmedia to see my current pages. I will get them here but may take a bit lo