Skip to main content

A summer layout

Good afternoon friends!

I wanted to share another one of my art journal pages, this one I had done at the end of August. With Fall fast approaching in my part of the world, I really wanted to make a page that encompassed everything I love about summer!


Again, I'm using my large Dylusions art journal, I always tape the centre seam with masking tape as I tend to go heavy on wet mediums and want to prevent anything from affecting other pages. I start by adding a layer of matte Mod Podge and apply ripped up sections of Tim Holtz tissue wrap in Melange and old book pages until everything is covered, then sealing the top with the Mod Podge. Once that was dry I added a layer of white Liquitex gesso and let it set overnight.

I started out by misting a thin layer of water to the entire page and I watered down some Deep Violet Liquitex ink! in a plastic pallet, with a large brush I add the colour to the two opposite edges of the pages and spray tons of water to have it bleed all over the pages. Now comes my favourite part! I have done this accidental technique many times and it never fails to make me smile. With all the excess water on the gesso that sits over top the Mod Podge it starts to crackle it's self! For whatever reason it works best with Mod Podge over soft matte gel, go figure?

Once I oohed and awed over that for a while I let it dry, and at some point I closed the journal without a wax paper barrier in-between and it may of sat like that for a day or more, duh! Anyway's, once I had some time again, I opened the journal to discover it was stuck to it's self and by opening, I ripped off some of the gesso/ colour! Eek! After the initial panic subsided I was actually happily surprised to find my book and tissue wrap again! So crisis averted, I carry on by scratching some additional gesso/ colour off to make it look intentional and grungy which I love! I wanted to add a bit of colour to the white spaces so I lightly spray them with Tim Holtz Distress spray in Antique linen and let dry.

I love using Dina Wakley's black gesso as a textural medium, so I take a Shnibblybits stencil in Polkadot pattern and add some gesso through it with an old insurance card. I do it randomly and kind of messy as I love how it smudges a little. If I wanted a more precise appearance I'd use black modelling paste and take my time. While that's drying, I go looking for another textural element and decide to use another Shnibblybits cut file, I use the top one in the Alphabet border cutouts file, this was a left over byproduct from another project in which I used them to Gelli print with black gesso. I'll explain that process in another post in the future. Basically, I was left with these amazing naturally distressed cutouts!

Before I add those alpha borders, I take Circles stencil from Shnibblybits and with a white gel pen I add random circles to the page and simply shade them with an HP pencil and blending stump. I then arrange and glue down the Alphabet border cutouts with Aleene's all purpose glue. Once that was dry, I just outlined them with a fine tip permanent marker in black. I then hand ripped a few leaves from my Tim Holtz Wallflower Vellum pack and applied them with soft get medium.

While those dried, I printed my sentiment on card stock which was the same colour as my old book pages, before applying them I added Tim Holtz Distress ink in Antique linen. I then glued them down with Aleene's glue.

I was so happy to of purchased the new Tim Holtz Botanical & Paper dolls ephemera packs when they were released this spring! I had unfortunately not used ANY since and thought I need to stop hoarding them and use them, because then I can buy more! After applying Antique linen Distress ink to all the edges of the flowers, butterflies, and bird I used Aleene's again to glue some directly to the page and added foam stickers to others to give them some dimension.

I then added a date to a book page scrap, attached it to the rusty paperclip which I had attached to the reverse spread and used my Archival ink in black to outline the page and that's it!

I hope you like it!

Lisa


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A few Spring pages

Hi Friends! I'm posting today to share the latest journal pages I've created. I hope you like what I've created! Thanks for stopping by! Lisa 

Happy Memories

Hi Friends! I'm posting another quick art journal page today. I started this page with scraps of Tim Holtz tissue wrap and masking tape which I adhered with Mod Podge. I arranged and adhered scraps of canvas gesso side down and then gessoed the entire page. Using a blending tool and Distress Oxides in Broken China and Antique Linen I added colour to the background. I then used Lindy's sprays and Inktense pencils to colour and outline the canvas pieces with several blue and brown shades. I randomly added script stamping with Cracked Pistachio Distress Oxide, pine needle stamping with Walnut Stain Distress Oxide, and stencilled Harlequin pattern with Shnibblybits stencil with Broken China Distress Oxide. After inking the edges of a few Shnibblybits vines with black ink, I adhered them down with all purpose glue. I then added some floral and butterfly die cuts from Tim Holtz to make a few clusters. Finally I added the bird, he's an Arboreal chickadee who frequent

A few more Spring pages

Hi Friends! I'm here to share the last of the art journal pages I had created before Spring was over. Here is a work in progress page using Tim Holts tissue wrap, gesso, and Lindy's sprays. I used a Shnibblybits stencil for the circles. And here is the completed page. I used a pencil to trace the circles which was nice for a little shading and I simply used gesso on the rest of the page. I used a bold white Faber Castell pitt pen to add highlights. This is my last page of Spring. This page was created with old book page scraps, masking tape, and various washi tape. Then a light coat of white gesso. I had seen another artist use a brayer to add Lindy's so I had to do the same.  This is the final product. All I did was add some black ink circles, a few sentences and a butterfly. I really hope you like what I've created, you can follow me on Instagram @lisabakkermixedmedia to see my current pages. I will get them here but may take a bit lo